The State and Local Legal Center hosted an excellent Supreme Court Preview Webinar this afternoon. The panelists — Tom Hungar, Kannon Shanmugam, and David Savage — discussed the following cases:
- Town of Greece v. Galloway — Is the Town’s legislative prayer practice consistent with the Establishment Clause?
- EPA v. EME Homer City Generation — Did the EPA properly enact rules addressing State air pollution under Clean Air Act’s “good neighbor” provision?
- McCullen v. Coakley — Does a Massachusetts law forbidding speakers from entering or remaining on a sidewalk in front of a reproductive health care facility violate the First Amendment?
- Fernandez v. California — If a defendant’s co-tenant consents to a search but the defendant had objected to the search previously and was not present and objecting at the time of the search, does the co-tenant’s consent control for Fourth Amendment purposes?
- Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action — Did Michigan violate the Equal Protection Clause by amending its constitution to prohibit race- and sex-based discrimination in public university admissions decisions?
- Mt. Holly v. Mt. Holly Gardens Citizens in Action — Are disparate impact claims cognizable under the Fair Housing Act?