- Pierce v. Cotuit Fire Department, No. 1301428 (Jan. 28, 2014) (affirming summary judgment against former employee who had claimed, among other things, that he was terminated in retaliation for First-Amendment activity).
- Montgomery County v. Federal National Mortgate Association, No. 13-1691 (Jan. 27, 2014) (affirming district court’s decision that general-tax exemptions applicable to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac cover real-property transfer taxes, and that Congress had authority under the Commerce Clause to adopt the exemption). The Seventh Circuit addressed a related question in December.
- Williams-Boldware v. Denton County, No. 13-40044 (Jan. 31, 2014) (reversing district court’s denial of judgment as a matter of law with respect to hostile-work-environmental claim and entering judgment for County because County took prompt remedial action to prevent further harassing conduct).
- Ballard v. Chicago Park District, No. 13-1445 (Jan. 28, 2014) (finding that Family and Medical Leave Act applies when an employee requests leave to provide physical and psychological care to a terminally ill parent while that parent is traveling away from home).
- Hussey v. Milwaukee County, No. 12-3625 (Jan. 29, 2014) (affirming summary-judgment ruling that retirees are not entitled to “cost-free” health insurance). See Municipal Minute‘s coverage here.
(January 27, 2014, through January 31, 2014)
*The Monday Morning Review arrives Wednesday this week. Sorry for the delay.