Here are published decisions involving local governments from the federal appellate courts from November 25, 2013 through December 6, 2013:
- American Petroleum and Transport v. City of New York, No. 12-4505 (Dec. 6, 2013) (finding that vessel owner may not be awarded damages for economic loss due to negligence in the absence of physical damage to property).
- Sandslands C&D LLC v. County of Horry, No. 13-1134 (Dec. 3, 2013) (affirming that County waste-disposal ordinance does not violate Dormant Commerce or Equal Protection clauses). See our coverage here.
- Goodpaster v. City of Indianapolis, No. 13-1629 (Nov. 25, 2013) (upholding City smoking ban against constitutional challenge). See our coverage here.
- Hagen v. City of Eugene, No. 12-35492 (Dec. 3, 2013) (reversing denial of City’s motion for judgment as a matter of law in 1983 action where officer alleged that City violated his First-Amendment rights by removing him from position in retaliation for airing concerns). See our coverage here.
- Hayes v. San Diego County, No. 09-55644 (Dec. 2, 2013) (affirming in part and dismissing in part summary judgment in 1983 action arising out of shooting during domestic disturbance call).